RE: Nested display strings

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Nested display strings
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 12:19:12 -0700

> >> Maybe it could be a "something is broken" indicator in the
> >> modeline, which when clicked pops up a help buffer with the
> >> list of problems.
> >
> > The idea is nice, but it won't work on a text terminal without a
> > mouse, whereas overlays with display strings do.
>
> How about just a mode-line indicator for ``Something has been added
> to *Messages* without appearing in the echo area''?
>
> As a starter proposal, we could make something that turns many/all
> of the -'s from %- in mode-line format into !'s, and then
> bind a command to C-h ! that displays the messages.
>
> If color is available, we could splash some on.  If mouse support is
> available, make it clickable.  If tooltips... etc.

Splash some on, indeed.  It's important to get the user's attention for this.

Maybe it could turn on the washing machine, the dishwasher, and the garbage
disposal; then open the garage door, fill the bathtub, and ring the alarm clock.

Users could optionally hook in additional annoyances to attract their attention:
turn on the sprinklers, open the windows, start a fire in the fireplace...

EMACS: Endlessly Manipulating Annoying Catastrophe Signals.