Re: Emacs RPC security

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Emacs RPC security
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 00:02:47 +0200

> Having a GnuTLS server in Emacs would be nice.

I just had a horrible idea.

I converted pop3.el to use opportunistic STARTTLS upgrades now (one less
thing on my imaginary todo list -- only googleplex more to go), and it
occurred to me that the Emacs Server could use STARTTLS too.

Today you just send the shared secret and then the command, but we could
easily implement a CAPABILITY command, and offer STARTTLS and thereby
allow forward-and-backward compatibility between encrypted and
non-encrypted clients and servers.  :-)

Anyway, I'm not going to tackle that, but just an idea.

Hm...  perhaps I should convert smtpmail.el to use opportunistic
STARTTLS while I'm at it.  Is that the only (major) network library that
has escaped opportunist encryption so far?