Re: Any objection to adding a unicode footnote style? (encoding fixed)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Any objection to adding a unicode footnote style? (encoding fixed)
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 20:01:40 +0300

> From: Alp Aker <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 16:50:02 +0000 (UTC)
>
> > (put-text-property start (point) 'display '(raise 0.5))
> >
> > Would that work?
>
> You can't test from within Lisp for the availability of that
> display property.  The best you can do is check the display type
> and infer from that whether it's available.  (E.g.,
> (display-graphic-p) => nil implies that it's not.)

This is supported on any GUI display, do display-graphic-p is up to
the job.

> But that method's not reliable, since the implementation of the
> raise property is inconsistent across ports.  (On NextStep, raise
> properties doesn't raise the text; they just increase the overall
> line height.)

AFAIK, what you see on NextStep is how it works on _any_ GUI display.
The implementation is device-independent.  Making the digit smaller
(with `height', as I show in my other message) alleviates the effect
on the line height to some degree.