Re: completion-ui and other packages in GNU ELPA

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: completion-ui and other packages in GNU ELPA
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 22:22:44 -0400

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> How about keeping track of package locations (a branch, Github,
> wherever) and then downloading them nightly?  The publishing step, then,
> would be manual and consist of reviewing what has changed since the last
> commit (which is also the last publish), committing the new contents,
> and finally deploying it all to the HTML tree.
>
> I would not make it possible for package maintainers to directly affect
> the HTML tree of the GNU ELPA.  But perhaps I'm too worried :)

Too many moving parts.  I don't think this is enough of a concern to
justify such inconveniences.

The current setup, i.e. giving anyone with access to the Emacs dev
sources the same access to the elpa repository, and deploying manually
from the elpa repository to the server, already strikes the right
balance IMO.