org-src.el begin_src/end_src fontification may have been broken recently

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: org-src.el begin_src/end_src fontification may have been broken recently (was: just-the-text Emacs frame)
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 10:54:28 -0500

Recently (I haven't been able to find the commit that did it) org-src.el
fontification broke.  I get an error that ":-mode" could not be
executed.  I didn't open a bug because I'm not sure if it's something
wrong with my setup; it's hard to replicate this error with -q because
it involves org-mode and Gnus.  The parent message to this one causes
the error (see at end for actual code block); I fixed it by wrapping the
`org-src-font-lock-fontify-block' funcall in a `condition-case' but
that's not fixing the problem itself.

(defun org-src-font-lock-fontify-block (lang start end)
      (condition-case catcher
          (unless (eq major-mode lang-mode) (funcall lang-mode))
        (error (message "Could not run %s, sorry" lang-mode)))

Produces:

Could not run :-mode mode, sorry [2 times]

This error happens in Gnus and Emacs as of this morning.  The code block
below is not the only place it happens.

If I try to call `debug' in `org-src-font-lock-fontify-block' I get:

font-lock-mode-internal: Lisp nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth'

so I couldn't track the calls that are causing the error.

Let me know how I can determine why this is causing an error for me, and
if it's an actual bug.

Thanks
Ted