Buffers relative order

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Buffers relative order
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 00:16:03 +0200

With recent changes in trunk, it seems that buffers relative order is different between sessions (desktop save on).

Suppose I start Emacs without any desktop file, and visit some buffer:

C-x C-f A
C-x C-f B
C-x C-f C
C-x C-f D

So D is what I see in the frame. Now suppose I click mouse-1 (previous buffer) on the buffer name in status bar. I get:

mouse-1 -->  C
mouse-1 -->  B
mouse-1 -->  A
mouse-1 -->  Scratch
mouse-1 -->  Messages
mouse-1 -->  D

Still D in the frame...

  A  B  C  D
     <---- previous

If now I save desktop and exit, when restart Emacs I find

mouse-1 -->  A
mouse-1 -->  B
mouse-1 -->  C
mouse-1 -->  Scratch
mouse-1 -->  Messages
mouse-1 -->  D

  C  B  A  D
     <---- previous

This is a different (cyclic) sequence. If one exits Emacs from Scratch or Messages or from another buffer, one gets a permutation of ABCD, say DBAC...

Now, usually I want to preserve the relative order of buffers I am working on, mainly because they are "linked" with some logic (.c,.cxx,.h project 1; .f90 proj. 2; .sh proj. 3 etc.)

With this new behavior, after a few start/exit Emacs, it is difficult to work, the order is lost (header files are "far" from .c/.cxx etc.)

Is this a something with which we will have to do in Emacs24?

Ciao,
Angelo.