Re: Any objection to adding completing-read-function?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Any objection to adding completing-read-function?
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 21:50:22 -0400

> +(defun completing-read-default (prompt collection &optional predicate
> require-match
> +                                       initial-input hist def
> inherit-input-method)

Please stay within 80 columns.

> +  "Default method for reading from the minibuffer with completion.
> +See `completing-read' for the meaning of the arguments."
> +  (let* ((minibuffer-completion-table collection)
> +         (minibuffer-completion-predicate predicate)
> +         (minibuffer-completion-confirm (not require-match))

This `not' doesn't preserve the behavior when `confirm' is not t.

> +         (keymap (if require-match
> +                     (if minibuffer-completing-file-name

The C code checks (memq minibuffer-completing-file-name '(nil
lambda)) instead.  Are you sure your code is correct, and if so why?

> +         (result (read-from-minibuffer prompt initial-input keymap
> +                                       nil hist def inherit-input-method)))

The C code does some funny dance with the initial-input before passing
it to read_minibuf, which read-from-minibuffer (and your code) doesn't
do, so I suspect that your code does not preserve the
corresponding behavior.

        Stefan