Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 08:50:24 -0400

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:56:03 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > If the SMTP server address is to be supplied by the user, then
> > send-mail-function should remain set to mailclient-send-it on
> > MS-Windows.
>
> The server address is supplied by the user, just like it is on all other
> mail clients (Mail.app, Thunderbird, Outlook, etc).  smtpmail.el will
> query the user for the SMTP server if it isn't set already.

Emacs until now didn't require the user to provide the server address.
At least on Windows, the system mailer (Outlook or whatever) is
normally already configured, and many times by a person other than the
one who invoked Emacs.  The latter might not know the address or the
credentials, or both.  We don't want that to get in the way of an
Emacs user who wants to report a bug, for example.

So please leave the value mailclient-send-it on Windows.

> `mailclient-send-it' pops up the system mailer, and you have to press
> "Send" there too, as I understand it?

Yes, and also paste the body of the message (Emacs places it in the
clipboard).  But they don't need to configure Outlook.

> I don't think that's a very user-friendly (default) interface.

Maybe not, but it won't block a bug report on technicalities.