Re: Usage examples of dedicated windows and popup frames?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Usage examples of dedicated windows and popup frames?
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 19:54:01 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Stefan,

>>   (setq pop-up-frames 'graphic-only
>>         display-buffer-reuse-frames t)
>>
>> Most of them were opened for showing completion possibilities, but
>> after I've finished completion they became useless.  It would be
>> great if those would be closed automagically...
>
> "They" should be iconified automatically and only one frame should be
> (re-)used for *Completions*.

Hm, not what I get.  With emacs -Q updated yesterday:

1. Goto *scratch* and eval the form above.

2. (def<TAB> ==> a comletion frame pops up *and gets input focus*

3. C-x 5 o to get back to the original frame

4. (defalia<TAB> ==> defalias is the sole completion, and at that point
   in time, the completion frame shows *scratch*, too, just like the
   frame I'm typing in.

Oh, now I did another completion, and this time the completion frame was
indeed iconified.  Unfortunately, it doesn't come up automatically when
completing again.  Doing it manually shows that it contains the new
completion list.

Another annoyance (but not Emacs' fault) is that the usability highly
depends on the window manager.  Here, using GNOME3 the window placement
is not that advanced.  The popup frames often appear on top of the emacs
frame I'm typing in.

So decided to use pop-up-frames by default, but keep completion and
other temporary stuff (buffers starting/ending with *) in the current
frame:

  (setq pop-up-frames 'graphic-only
        display-buffer-reuse-frames t
        special-display-regexps '(("^\\*.*\\*$" pop-to-buffer-same-frame)))

Using that (emacs -Q), completion now pops up a new window showing
*Completions*, and also a new frame showing the same buffer...

If I understand the docs correctly, then I could also use

  (setq special-display-regexps '(("^\\*.*\\*$" ((same-frame . t)))))

but with that, completions still appear in a popup frame and no popup
window is shown at all.

Bye,
Tassilo