Re: Emacs in the Cloud

From: Dimitri Fontaine
Subject: Re: Emacs in the Cloud
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 21:39:20 +0200

>     Some of the readers here might already know about jslinux, the PC
>     emulator written in javascript.  It allows you to run linux in your
>     browser.
>
> When you say "run Linux", I presume you really mean running GNU/Linux.

To the best of my knowledge, I don't.

>From the description online

   http://bellard.org/jslinux/tech.html

   Linux distribution

   I compiled a 2.6.20 Linux kernel (I guess any other version would
   work provided there is still an FPU emulator). The Linux kernel
   configuration, patch and the source code of the Linux starter (kind
   of BIOS) are available: linuxstart-20110526.tar.gz.

   The disk image is just a ram disk image loaded at boot time. It
   contains a filesystem generated with Buildroot containing BusyBox. I
   added my toy C compiler TinyCC and my unfinished but usable emacs
   clone QEmacs.

> Aside from that, a more substantial question is, is it a good idea to
> run GNU/Linux in a browser this way?  The crucial question is whether
> you can run _your own copy_ of it.

Due to security concerns in the browser sandboxes, I think that you
would need to host both your own copy and the emulator on the same
domain, but that would be about it.

Regards,
--
dim