Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 15:47:12 +0200

> Generally behavior is defined by a set of rules with two parts:
> conditions (that define the context) and actions (that define what to do).
> In rules defined by `display-buffer-alist' "buffer identifiers" are
> conditions and "display specifiers" are actions.  But one problem with
> the new design is that some conditions are implicit and hard-coded into
> actions.  I mean such conditions that can be expressed as e.g.
> "the buffer is already displayed in another window or frame",
> "the selected window is to narrow to split" and other restrictions
> depending on the values of `window-min-width', `window-min-height', etc.

A pure condition/rule analogy is hard to achieve.  IIUC, for example,
`even-window-sizes' would be a rule.  This rule works on the conditions
that the window used and the selected window are adjacent, one of them
is higher, ...  Would these be conditions?

> Defining such conditions explicitly will allow writing more precise rules
> and avoid the problem of merging actions (they will be executed
> sequentially without problems).

I'm not sure what you mean by "merging actions".  How would you "merge
in" the Emacs 23 default behavior of evening window heights?

martin