Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 13:20:51 +0300

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 11:24:04 +0200
>
> I can still pick iso-8869-5 encoding for a cyrillic cut&paste, but not
> if it contains L2R marks.

How is having Cyrillic characters different from having an LRM?

> And when having pure ASCII with L2R mark leakage into it, I can't
> save under any 8-bit encoding (well, iso-8859-8 would work, but who
> is going to be able to read it?).

ASCII characters are not changed by iso-8859-8 in any way, and LRM
doesn't need to be "read" at all.

> Emacs should really avoid formatting things with L2R marks that are not
> actually required.

You are welcome to code a function that determines when it is actually
required.  One problem with doing so with 100% accuracy is that the
outcome depends on the text that follows the string in question, and
sometimes even on text that precedes it.  These are not always known,
and in fact the text that follows will normally be unknown.