Re: bidi properties from uniprop tables

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: bidi properties from uniprop tables
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 21:10:35 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > > Since Bidi_Class is only used in this algorithm (and explicit property
 > > lookups) AFAIK
 >
 > That's not true, it is also used in regexp search by category.  So we
 > should decide whether to assign these types in the uniprop table, or
 > have a fallback for them in bidi.c.  Any opinions?  Handa-san?

Since these actually appear in the DerivedBIDI file, I'd say that they
should be in the uniprop table and available for regexp search and
others.  IIUC, the deviation from the usual Unicode conformance is
that normally you are not supposed to make any assumptions about
character code points that are not assign, but here assumptions are
made based on code point blocks.  So these defaults are not normative
in the way that the Bidi_Class property is when explicitly assigned to
a character, but they "really are" properties of those code points.

IMHO YMMV.