Re: pop-to-buffer-same-window

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: pop-to-buffer-same-window
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 12:25:24 -0400

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Was there any particular reason for adding a separate
> pop-to-buffer-same-window function, as opposed to adding an additional
> meaning to pop-to-buffer's OTHER-WINDOW argument, i.e.
>
>   (pop-to-buffer buffer 'same-window)
>
> ?  I don't recall any such discussion when pop-to-buffer-same-window was
> originally introduced, but could be mistaken.

I guess the main reason for a separate `pop-to-buffer-same-window' is to
provide a separate command for users to bind to.  Is that the reason?
If so, is `pop-to-buffer-same-window' supposed to supplant interactive
calls to switch-to-buffer?

Someone who uses dedicated windows (Stefan?) should probably weigh in.