Re: OAuth2 implementation in Elisp

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: OAuth2 implementation in Elisp
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 13:14:24 -0400

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 14:56:20 +0200 Julien Danjou <address@hidden> wrote:
>JD> On Sun, Sep 25 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>>> Could you format it to wrap the long lines?
>
>JD> Long? What's the limit? The longest is 122, which does not seem long to
>JD> me in 2011.
>
>If you could stay under 78 it would be polite.  I can't find the
>reference but I'm pretty sure for Emacs submissions at least it's
>required.

Yes, 78 has been the standard for a long time AFAICT, with 80 as the
hard limit only when absolutely necessary.  search://80 column rule/
will bring up lots of links about it.  This is one of the best:

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EightyColumnRule

As that resource (and others) note, it's not merely historical baggage
left over from old fixed-width terminals -- it's rather an accessibility
issue and human optimum-scanning-width issue.

HTH,
-Karl