Re: draft for DEL key poll

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: draft for DEL key poll
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 14:49:27 -0400

CY> Some Emacs commands perform a certain operation on the region when
CY> it is active.  In general, this "act on region" behavior does not
CY> draw a distinction between a region made with the mouse (or
CY> shift-selection) and a region made "normally" (e.g. by C-SPC
CY> followed by point motion).  In previous Emacs releases, a special
CY> exception was made for the DEL and delete keys.  This exception has
CY> now been dropped.

(It has been long enough since region highlighting arrived that
I've forgotten what setting I used to require a double-tap to create
highlighted regions.  And grep(1)ing my custom file didn't "highlight"
the amswer.  (Sorry for the pun.))

Is is the case that active region == highlighted region?

Ie, if emacs is configured such that C-SPC must be hit twice to
highlight the region, does that imply that when a region is not
highlighted that DEL will not delete it?

Allowing DEL to delete or seft-insert to replace a highlighted region
is one thing.  Allowing them to delete a non-highlighted region, OTOH,
is -- or should be -- a non-starter.

And I still think that regions so deleted should be on the kill-ring.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6