Re: ELPA update

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: ELPA update
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 07:36:26 -0500

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 12:14:22 +0200 Julien Danjou <address@hidden> wrote:

JD> On Thu, Sep 29 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> I don't see what's wrong with my proposal to have a `elpa-dev' branch
>> for unstable and `elpa-stable' for stable packages; merging `elpa' into
>> `elpa-dev' will be a much clearer sign to publish a new version than
>> incrementing the version number (which, as we know, is often
>> unparseable).

JD> The problem I see with branch merging, is that you can't select a
JD> precise package to merge in a flow of commit, unless you just do a merge
JD> without keeping the history, which kind of sucks too.
JD> (I'm more a git expert than a bzr one, but I don't think I'm breaking
JD> assumption here).

In Git you can cherry-pick between branches, which makes a new commit ID
but the patch contents (including the commit message) are the same.  So
that lets you take just one change from one branch to another.  It's not
ideal but it's very easy to use and automate.

If that's too complicated or undesirable in Bazaar and there's no other
way to merge just a few commits from one branch to another, I'm open to
suggestions.  I still feel, no matter the merge mechanism, that we
should use the VCS branch and not the package version as the deciding
factor whether to publish a package.

Ted