Re: Should undefined behavior be encouraged in Emacs?

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Should undefined behavior be encouraged in Emacs?
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 02:52:09 -0500

>> disabled `transient-mark-mode' the first chance I got.

> [...] I found that I liked it, for several reasons, and the change in
> default was upheld because most commentators agreed.

I also quiet like transient-mark-mode, despite the fact that at first I
disabled it most vociferously (in the confines of my then office).

>> And the reason for that is that `C-x C-x' activates the region, which makes
>> it impossible to use that command to jump around in buffers.

> Of course it doesn't make it impossible.  You just don't like it, either
> because of the risk of deleting something you don't want to reproduce, or
> because you find the highlighting annoying, or maybe for some other reason I
> don't recall after a decade and a half of correct usage.<wink/>

I would like this behavior to have a customization variable.
highlight-region-on-exchange-point-and-mark.

>> I might start using `transient-mark-mode'.

> C'mon, Lars, I'm sure you could do that for yourself.  Why don't you try it
> and see?  After all, you'd be the odd one out, people who already use t-m-m
> evidently *want* the activating behavior.

Well, I don't use C-x C-x, I use C-u C-SPC, but maybe I'd like to bounce back,
and in that case having the region re-highlighted seems... odd.

John