Re: Emacs bzr memory footprint

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Emacs bzr memory footprint
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 19:22:14 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > One of the problems is dumping, and that of XEmacs uses an entirely
 > different method AFAIK.

True.  I was just saying....

 > Maybe people should try running temacs instead.

Ah, that rings a bell.  Indeed, running from temacs may have been
necessary.  I don't know about Emacs, but XEmacs has a recipe for
running a regular session from temacs in the Makefile (it's something
like "make run-temacs").  Emacs is probably different, but maybe you
already have the necessary magic spells for doing this?  Or maybe it's
trivial for Emacs (it requires some special options for XEmacs, no big
deal but they're less than obvious or well-documented ;).

IIRC this takes a lot of extra time at startup, but once the dumpable
Lisp is loaded, temacs is otherwise no slower (but valgrind does cost
some performance).