Re: name prefixes [was: epa command names]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: name prefixes [was: epa command names]
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 19:30:50 -0500

    > Shall we give them aliases without `epa-'?  For instance, define
    > `mail-encrypt' or `encrypt-mail' as an alias for `epa-mail-encrypt'?

    Alas, this is a bane of 3rd-party Elisp code.  That vanilla Emacs might
suffer
    now and then from a convention it promulgates is, well, just desserts. ;-)

Not at all.  The convention is necessary, and we make exceptions when
that suits us.

    Instead of allowing Emacs to flout its own guidelines,

My proposal doesn't violate any Emacs guidelines.

     we should put in place a
    real module/package/namespace system - e.g., using qualified names, where
    qualifiers are separate from the names they qualify (so they can be changed
    later).

In my experience, Common Lisp's package name system had problems and
no real advantages.  But you can propose it if you wish.

However, that's a different issue from my simple proposal to
unconditionally define 5 or 10 aliases.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation