Re: Aligned blocks management: obsolete?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Aligned blocks management: obsolete?
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 08:13:43 -0500

> Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 12:11:48 +0400
> From: Dmitry Antipov <address@hidden>
>
> Is it still required to maintain the cache of aligned blocks
> to workaround poor malloc behavior?

Can you please tell what you mean by that?  Are you alluding to
lisp_align_malloc and its subroutines, or to something else?

> I believe an attached
> example should perform well (i.e. allocate ~4K blocks without
> ~4K holes between them) on top of any non-ancient glibc (no
> ideas about other system malloc implementations, BTW).

I hope Emacs is not on its way to become a glibc-only project.  Quite
a few supported platforms don't use glibc: Cygwin, *BSD (AFAIK),
Windows.

Are platforms that use gmalloc.c, with or without ralloc.c, OK in this
regard?  If not, what feature(s) are missing that are present in
glibc?