Re: rfc2047-decode-region

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: rfc2047-decode-region
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 22:18:12 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > > It's all in RFC 5322.  Doesn't everybody know that by heart? ;-)
 >
 > I didn't find a place that would explain how to compute 5322 from
 > 2047.

I didn't either; that's why you need to know the RFC by heart.  Seems
a reasonable requirement for participation in a project which chooses
its infrastructure based on email controllability! :-)

 > Thanks.  I needed it to decode a region of the "rmail view buffer",
 > where we display a single message, which includes all the displayed
 > headers, including From, To, CC, Subject, etc.  So from your
 > explanations I understand that the ADDRESS-MIME argument can stay nil
 > in that case, correct?

Yes, if I were you I'd set it to nil.  Setting it to t makes some
*extremely* rare addresses (eg <"an\ RFC\-legit\ address"@gnu.org>,
and that is *not* a joke, it's the kind of example that ADDRESS-MIME
is intended for) look nicer.  But it probably would do really
confusing things to program strings in unstructured fields (eg, Lisp
regexps in the Subject field), and I think those are much more likely
than mailboxes whose names contain special characters.