Re: GnuTLS for W32

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: GnuTLS for W32
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 11:03:18 +0900

Richard Riley writes:
 > Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> writes:

 > > The GnuTLS binary is *not* an "Emacs component".
 >
 > Silly word play.

Not at all.  It's an admirably precise statement of Juanma's opinion,
and it corresponds to what I believe to be the project's policy on
such things.

 > It's a required component for Emacs in the context of this
 > discussion.

Of course it's not.  Nothing related to Windows can be required of
Emacs, only permitted given the needed volunteers.

Even if a similar practice were a good idea for GNU/Linux systems, it
would still be the project's choice whether to consider such a DLL a
"component of Emacs" or not.  The former means the project accepts
responsibility for it (in some "moral" sense even though the license
disclaims all legal responsibility), the latter means it's delivered
"as is" and defects are the user's problem entirely.