Re: Feature suggestion: iswitchb should have an option to show virtual b

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: Feature suggestion: iswitchb should have an option to show virtual buffers like ido does
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 14:31:22 -0500

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Tom <address@hidden> wrote:

BTW, there is one feature which ido could implement. This virtual buffer
concept could be extended, so that the user can specify additional lists,
not just recent files.

For example, if I work on a project then there are files in it which
I open only rarely, so these files are not on the recent files list.
In this case I would compile the list of all files in the project and
tell ido to also use this list. This way ido would list matches from
the buffer list first, then from the recent files and then also from
the list of project files.

I would absolutely love to see such a capability.

Today I already place in the root directory of each of my projects a list of paths to all of the files in that project.  I make a project current by loading that file into s special buffer.  Finally I have a special key binding that uses that buffer and completion to open any project file.

Ideally I would have ido seach upwards through the directory tree starting from the directory part of buffer-file-name for something like .ido-project-files.

Such ido integration would eliminate my separate key binding and the awkward statefulness of my current project files buffer.

/john