Re: quotation marks [was Re: TUTORIAL.de updated]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: quotation marks [was Re: TUTORIAL.de updated]
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:10:40 +0200

> Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:17:32 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
>
> On 01/20/2012 01:24 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-08/msg00445.html
> >   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-08/msg00447.html
> >   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-08/msg00451.html
> >   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-08/msg00518.html
>
> Those messages are about using ASCII-only email, or having Emacs not
> unexpectedly insert Unicode characters into an ASCII-only document,
> or things of that sort, things that are about Emacs users in general.
> Those are all valid issues, but they don't contradict the basic point
> that it's becoming less important to cater to ASCII-only development
> environments.

Read the whole (longish) thread if you want to understand the context.
The context was precisely what is being discussed here: should we
seriously cater to ASCII-only environments, or can we forget about
them or treat them as second-class citizens.  The rest were examples
invoked to make this point or refute it.

> We routinely place more requirements on Emacs developers than on Emacs users,
> and in particular we assume that Emacs developers can routinely view and
> otherwise deal with non-ASCII characters when they need to.  This is not
> an assumption we could have made 30 years ago, but it's a safe assumption
> today.

I don't see how the difference between Emacs developers and users
comes into play here.  The change of the quotes is proposed for doc
strings, manuals, and other user-visible places.