Re: Memory again

From: Nix
Subject: Re: Memory again
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 16:49:37 +0000

On 19 Dec 2011, Stefan Monnier outgrape:
>>> I agree that we're probably going to see better overall results by
>>> improving general memory use than by trying to attack
>>> fragmentation problems.
>> Among this list's subscribers, Nix <address@hidden> is constantly
>> reporting an enormous memory usage caused by Gnus.
>
> I think we still have a leak there somewhere.

Confirmed. With Dmitry's immediate-string patch (which works perfectly
otherwise):

   RSS    VSZ   USER     STIME
720696 1008752  gnus     Jan07
242740 525592   hacking  2011

Despite running for less than half the time, the Gnus Emacs is twice the
size. It bloats more slowly than without Dmitry's patch, but it still
bloats.

I suspect that the only way I'll be able to provide a reproducible
recipe for this is to instrument Emacs to record all allocations and GCs
and when they happen, so that someone else can play this back to observe
WTF is going on. Doing this compactly enough to run over weeks without
serving as a DoS-attack on my own system may be... interesting. I
haven't done any work toward this yet though.

--
NULL && (void)