Re: [h-e-w] bug#10612: GnuTLS bundled with the windows Emacs binaries

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] bug#10612: GnuTLS bundled with the windows Emacs binaries
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 16:30:50 +0100

2012/1/27 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>:

> Someone has to do the work. I offered to do it, setting up a BuildBot
> so I don't have to do it manually every time.  I will obviously make it
> run the tests and if it fails, it will not deliver the DLLs.  Do you
> have a better proposal (e.g. you want to be in charge of the builds or
> you know volunteers who want to do it)?  I'm certainly not looking for
> more work for myself, but it seems no one else wants to automate this.

"Someone has to do the work" and "be[ing] in charge of the builds"
sort of implies that there's that weird *obligation* to provide the
binaries. If there *is* in fact any obligation, it is certainly
unrelated to Emacs. You seem to think that those who oppose
distributing the binaries do so because of the burden of building
them. At least in my case, the opposition is philosophical/political,
and utterly unrelated with who wil bear the work of producing
binaries.

> The fact that the GnuTLS developers don't support W32 well is partly due
> to the lack of binary builds for that platform.  I think things will
> improve as up-to-date DLLs become available.

If you can set a bot to build the DLLs, the GnuTLS project surely
could, too. And it would be *their* binaries. You can't get more
official than that.

    Juanma