Re: /etc/TODO: define-minor-mode & minor-mode-list

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: /etc/TODO: define-minor-mode & minor-mode-list
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 09:06:46 -0500

> Also is this todo considered todone?

Largely, yes.  I did this during the Emacs-24 development (which lead to
the addition of the `:variable' argument).  My methodology to find
potential minor modes was to grep for something like "defun.*-mode
([^)]" since traditionally minor modes take an argument, whereas major
modes don't.  There are a few cases I found which I haven't converted,
usually because the conversion was less straightforward so I left it
for later.  These are: orgstruct++-mode, tcl-auto-fill-mode,
vhdl-hs-minor-mode, speedbar-frame-mode, reftex-isearch-minor-mode,
type-break-mode.
There are probably other candidates, of course.

As already mentioned, most/all "*-mode" functions should not be defined
with `defun' but with one of define-*-mode.

        Stefan