bidi and shaping problems in describe-input-method

From: Mohsen BANAN
Subject: bidi and shaping problems in describe-input-method
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 14:17:41 -0800

There are two minor problems in
describe-input-method which I think we can easily
fix.

The first problem is bidi related:

Try:
(describe-input-method 'arabic)
and then try:
(describe-input-method 'hebrew)

In the case of 'arabic note how the entire
keyboard is flipped to the right.

The second problem is shaping related:

Inside of a cell on the keyboard layout, when
there are two characters that can be joined, they
are joined -- be default. They should not be.

Consider for example غإ which should have been غ‌إ
instead.

The fix can involve inserting a (ucs-insert 8204)‌
between the two characters in each cell. That is a
ZERO WIDTH NON-JOINER.

I can help with this and work with maintainer of
describe-input-method to add the above changes.

Good input methods help/documentation for bidi
languages are important when emacs24 comes out.

Thanks.

...Mohsen