Re: Pretest note

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Pretest note
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 14:25:00 +0800

Carsten Mattner <address@hidden> writes:

> Don't we want to do something about the leak(s) or at least verify
> down that they're correct "caching" or "reuse" behavior?

AFAICT, this is Jan's report that memory is not returned to the system
on Mac OS?  Obviously, if someone can help pin this down, that will be
appreciated.  Yamamoto Mitsuharu gave one suggestion here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-01/msg00358.html.

Also, I'd like to know whether it really involves memory not being
returned at all, independently of gnutls and networking.  For example,
here is some Elisp code that visits a file and kills the buffer a few
thousand times:

(dotimes (n 50000)
  (with-temp-buffer
    (insert-file-contents "/path/to/emacs/etc/NEWS")))

If Emacs on Mac OS really never returns memory, this should chew up all
the memory on your system.  Does it?  Check also if Emacs 23 is
affected.