Re: .info files

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: .info files
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:58:53 -0400

   > True that, what about the following:
   > (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist
   >         '("\\.info\\'" . (lambda () (interactive)
   >                            (require 'info)
   >                            (info-setup (buffer-file-name)
(current-buffer)))))

   Looks better, indeed.  Still sounds a bit risky since it throws away the
   current content of the buffer, so it probably won't work right in things
   like archive-members.

It doesn't. :-) I'll look at what Info-on-current-buffer does and frob
that.

   PS: Reminds me that I don't like the way our Info files (and some
   other project's as well) don't have a .info extension.

Please, yes, please!

   PPS: And of course, the question remains of what to do when visiting
   foo-N.info.

When makeinfo splits files, it will name them foo.info-N (not
foo-N.info), so that case isn't one to worry about.

But that raises the question of files that contain no nodes,
specifically no Top node, i.e. output from:

\input texinfo  @c -*-texinfo-*-
@setfilename hello-info-world.info
@settitle Hello info world
@bye

I use this for articles, since it kills alot of the boiler plate.
Though makeinfo should probobly warn/fail if there is no Top node.