Re: Clearing the minibuffer/echo-area for global indicators

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Clearing the minibuffer/echo-area for global indicators
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:18:17 +0200

> Someone posted a patch last year that removes a few spurious/redundant
> clearing of the minibuffer/echo-area, which were making the use of the
> minibuffer as a global-indicator-area more difficult than needed.
> I can't seem to find the corresponding email any more, so...
> ... whoever it was, could you send the patch again, so we can
> install it?

How about providing a function `clear-echo-area' which does precisely
that but calls `clear-echo-area-hook' thus giving maintainers a chance
to resurrect and possibly update their indicators?  Or, as I suggested
earlier, have `message' with a nil or empty string argument run such a
`clear-echo-area-hook'.

martin