Re: DVCSes, bug trackers, and GNUness

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: DVCSes, bug trackers, and GNUness
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 08:08:46 -0400

    Okay, so I'm getting a consistent message that if I want people to
    prefer Savane over debbugs, I need to first make sure Savane can have
    an email and SOAP interface. Is this accurate?

That may be true.

                                                   Then it's a GNU project
    with comparable features to debbugs,

The term "a GNU project" seems to be causing misunderstanding.  Emacs
and Bzr are GNU packages, but Savannah is not a GNU package.  It is
not a software package at all.

Savane is a software package, but it isn't a GNU package.  We use it,
and I suppose the Savannah hackers help maintain it, but I don't know
the details of how that is done or how they relate to other developers
of Savane.

Glenn reminded us about GNATS.  GNATS is a GNU package that was
developed in the early 90s.  I don't know how it relates to modern-day
needs.  I will ask its maintainers how it stands.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation