Re: Odd formatting

From: Nix
Subject: Re: Odd formatting
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 14:27:20 +0100

On 30 Apr 2012, Antoine Levitt uttered the following:

> 30/04/12 09:48, Steinar Bang
>>
>>> Totally off topic, I was looking at how strange your messages are
>>> rendering and wondering whether the mail reader was interpreting your
>>> messages incorrectly or something.  But here's the (sort of) raw source
>>> of that text:

>>> I&#39;m arguing that</div><div>for a very specific corner of the type
>>> system, we merge two separate</div>
>>> today is,</div><div>for all intents, just another nil. So it should not
>>
>>> (This is the text/html part of the multipart message you send.)
>>
>> Note that the text/plain version of the message is foramatted exactly
>> like the bit you quoted.
>
> Looks like he's writing his email in emacs, with emacs wrapping, and
> then pasting it into gmail, which then adds further (and different)
> wrapping. Not much gnus can do, I think.

Yeah. I suspect the Emacs wrapping is considered hard returns, and gmail
is adding further soft returns on top of that, and then expressing each
hard return as a <div>. Solution, "don't do that then", since I doubt
there is a way to turn off wrapping in gmail or to get it to stop
treating each explicitly-entered RET as a <div>.

--
NULL && (void)