Re: Default simplifications in Calc (adding simplifications)

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Re: Default simplifications in Calc (adding simplifications)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 22:20:07 +0200

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 22:17:29 -0500
Jay Belanger wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on moving some algebraic
> simplifications to Calc's default simplifications.

I'm just a casual Calc user, but considering the lack of other answers,
I figured something might be better than nothing.

I agree the simplifications should be done by default. I believe that
even to someone who never used Calc, things like

> * Calc will simplify `x+x+y' to `2x+y' but will not simplify `x+y+x',

must seem strange (inconsistent from a user's standpoint).

Personally I can't imagine why anyone would _not_ want the
simplifications done, esp. if they don't incur any (noticeable)
performance loss.

Thanks,

  Štěpán