Re: ELPA and core services

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: ELPA and core services
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 08:01:55 +0200

John Wiegley writes:
>> On top of that, IMO every single core package should have a copy on GNU ELPA
>> so one can to overwrite the native GNU Emacs one with the one from GNU ELPA.
>> This would decouple all packages from the Emacs release cycle and allow bug
>> fixes to be distributed instantly.
>
> Now, this I agree with completely.  ELPA overrides is a great idea, and I
> think it could accelerate development -- as long as inter-package version
> dependencies are managed.  If the newest Gnus suddenly depends on the the
> newest something-else, that something-else should be installed/updated along
> with it automatically.

It may be a great idea, but even ignoring inter-package dependencies it
currently doesn't really work due to the way autoloads are generated and
used in both Emacs and ELPA.  Putting two different fixes for this issue
into Emacs and ELPA to me seems a bad idea, so that suggests something
more general would be needed and extending ELPA to allow for "layered"
installations by default (site-elpa, elpa-24.x, user-elpa, ...) and
delivering core packages via a "built-in" ELPA might becmome an option.

Distribution of bug fixes is actually a seperate issue that could be
solved in other ways, IMHO.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: