Re: Emacs on OS X development

From: Ivan Andrus
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X development
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 12:45:47 +0200

On Jul 13, 2012, at 12:02 PM, Jan Djärv wrote:
> 13 jul 2012 kl. 02:23 skrev John Wiegley:
>
>> 2. The leading on Courier is all wrong.  Example: The pixels from the top of
>>   capital letters run into the mode-line.  I need to set line-spacing to 3
>>   just to make text look decent.
>
> Some people report corrupted rendering, some have no problem.  Obviosly there
> is some dependence on the osx version used, or perhaps the language settings.
>  But as it is not easily reproducable by the few presons that fixes NS-port
> bugs it is not easy to fix.

I haven't seen this exact problem, but I have a few problems with emacs window
being slightly the wrong size. For example I have a space between the fringe
and the edge of the window in terms of where the scroll bar is placed.  It gets
corrupted pixels (as seen below) and never redisplays.  I haven't worried about
it because it's only cosmetic, but I mention it now because it might be
related. If NSEmacs is calculating the wrong size for the window, courier might
get shoved into the mode line.  This is just a wild guess.

PNG image

>> 3. If I switch to *scratch* and turn on flyspell, I can out-type Emacs very
>>   easily, the lag is that bad.
>
> That is a real problem.  I am looking in to this, but my time is very limited.

You'll make several people very happy.  Would it help if there were an
incentive set up at http://www.freedomsponsors.com/ for example?

-Ivan