Re: [RFC] Omit all GCPRO stuff if GC_MAKE_GCPROS_NOOPS

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [RFC] Omit all GCPRO stuff if GC_MAKE_GCPROS_NOOPS
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 03:20:47 -0400

> This patch moves all GCPRO stuff out of compilation if GC_MARK_STACK
> == GC_MAKE_GCPROS_NOOPS.

I don't think it's terribly important to do that.
Unused variables are largely harmless.  Getting rid of unused structure
fields is OK, so feel free to commit this part of the patch.

I'm not completely averse to replacing those "struct gcpro gcpro1,
gcpro2, ..." with some kind of macro (tho I'd make it take an argument,
much like EXFUN), but then I'd like to find some way to make them expand
to something more empty than "*__dummy ATTRIBUTE_UNUSED = &__dummy".
This said, I don't like the suggestion to include the semi-colon in the
DEFGCPRO macros, so I'm not sure how else to do it, without bumping into
the "declarations after statements".

        Stefan