Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r109187: Adjust consing_since_gc

From: Dmitry Antipov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r109187: Adjust consing_since_gc when objects are explicitly freed.
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 08:30:08 +0400

On 07/24/2012 03:11 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

What helps?  Adding those calls to free_marker, or adding the "decrement
consing_since_gc in free_marker"?  I can believe the first, but I doubt
the second will make much of a difference.

ones
most probably will be re-used again very soon, at the cost of link to/unlink
from
the free lists, thus avoiding possible new block allocation.

Global: Ideal GC manages an infinite amount of memory so the collection is never
started. For the real cases, some time periods are more advisable for running GC
(when we're idle, for example); but, since we can't predict when "more
advisable"
time comes, it's the best bet to run GC as later as possible for the same amount
of work.

Dmitry