Re: Git to Bzr - what works?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Git to Bzr - what works?
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 16:12:27 +0900

Daniel Colascione writes:

 > bzr doesn't have anything comparable.

True.  Sad, but Emacs is unlikely to switch again in the lifetime of
your current feature branches, right?

 > There's bzr loom, but after reading its documentation, I think it's
 > awkward compared to git's interactive rebasing --- loom has special
 > commands, while rebasing works with regular commit, merge, and
 > branch operations.

In some sense it's awkward, but this is a style difference, based in
the notion that one should never change the presentation of history.
So loom actually (AIUI, which is LSI-element-deep :) implements a
restricted rebase and/or colocated branching that allows you to know
the actual temporal history of changes (at least as long as the loom
is in effect).

loom is probably among the most solid bzr plugins.  Robert Collins is
the bzr dev who's least dogmatic about this stuff (though he is as big
a fan of the Bazaar Way as any of them).  So you may never learn to
love loom but if it serves your purpose, it may be the best way to
work in bzr.  And I doubt it will break on you.

The other possibility is to use Aaron Bentley's pipeline plugin, which
is like Mercurial queues.  Again, not comparable to git rebase, but it
might serve your purpose better than trying to bidirectionally sync a
local git repo.  Aaron can be bzr-dogmatic, but his code is solid, and
the idea of pipelines is very straightforward.  The dogma isn't going
to bite you unexpectedly, all the restrictions are printed on the
wrapper. :-)

Steve