Re: threads and kill-buffer

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: threads and kill-buffer
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 09:20:52 +0900

Tom Tromey writes:

 > No, it really is impossible in the context of Emacs, even with
 > preemptive threads.  The impossibility lies in the "GCd and reallocated"
 > step.  If thread A has a handle on the buffer, then it cannot be GCd.

Ah you're right.  ... but subtract GC, and just have the buffer
reallocated in thread B, and guess what happens?[1]

So I didn't get it right, and you miss things, too.  "Threading is
hard, and then you deadlock."

What was the application that makes general threading so attractive,
again?

I have to wonder if it might not be a better idea to develop ways to
share specified data across processes cheaply, eg, via shared memory.

Footnotes:
[1]  enlarge_buffer_text() @ buffer.c, ~l.4819.