Re: Reachable killed buffers

From: Dmitry Antipov
Subject: Re: Reachable killed buffers
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 22:01:26 +0400

On 09/13/2012 09:11 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
Right, but as I understand it in the meantime it would still exist as
a dead buffer, and would continue to pressure the GC.  And it might
inadvertently survive the next sweep too, no?  The goal is to reclaim
all the dead buffers, not just some of them.

No. If finding dead buffer pointer requires the long walk through a lot
of large objects, it's not worth doing; the goal is to find dead buffer
pointers in some "special slots" where such a pointers tends to concentrate
(like prev_buffers and next_buffers of window objects) and to hope that
the most of dead buffers are reachable just once and so can be reclaimed
if we do not reference them from such a "special slots".

Dmitry