Re: Elisp native profiler

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Elisp native profiler
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 08:55:48 -0400

> Will the merge happen before the feature freeze?

Yes (probably later today).

> If not, the adaptation of itimers to MS-Windows can wait.  Otherwise,
> it doesn't make sense to me to have an interim release with an
> important new feature that is not supported on MS-Windows.

It's mostly useful for Elisp package authors.  Most of those packages
are platform agnostic, so it's not that serious if you need to find
a GNU/Linux system in order to do the profiling.
You can even ask some other GNU/Linux user to do the profiling for you
and send you the result.
So, I don't see any reason why we should prevent GNU/Linux users from
enjoying this feature in 24.3.  If someone an implement something
equivalent for Windows quickly enough, that's perfectly fine for me, of
course, but to allow the merge I allow needed to unbreak the
Windows build.

        Stefan