Re: Isearch: retrieve last successful search string from when you quit (

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: Isearch: retrieve last successful search string from when you quit (`C-g')
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 20:31:16 +0200

Hi Drew,

I've tested your proposal (I don't need to test the other one, since
the behavior is pretty obvious).

I see two problems in your proposal:
1. It adds a bit of (unnecesary) user-level complexity: the users has
to remember whether the search string was accepted (i.e. pushed to the
search ring) or not, since the way of retrieving it is different in
each case.
2. The user can't  The search string is lost if is not accepted and is
not the last one.

The following approach overcomes these two problems:

Define a new user-option whereby the user can choose between these 3 behaviors:
a. Don't remember any cancelled search strings: i.e., the current behavior.
b. Remember only the last cancelled search string: if the users
cancels an i-search with `C-g', that search string will be retrieved
by `C-s C-s' or `C-s M-p' as if it was stored at the top of the search
ring; but this string will be forgot/removed after the next i-search
session.
b. Remember all cancelled search string: any cancelled search string
will be pushed to the search ring, like the accepted ones.

I think this approach is simple and flexible.  I would adapt to the
different usage patterns that people have expressed so far in this
thread.

--
Dani Moncayo