Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r110342: Count overruns when prof

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r110342: Count overruns when profiling; change units to ns.
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 09:20:51 -0400

>   (profiler-report-render-calltree-1): Call them "CPU samples",
>   not "Time (ms)", since they are not milliseconds now (and
>   never really were).

They were (or close enough) since each sample was weighted according to
current_sampling_interval.

We can't preserve this weighting while switching to nanoseconds, since
that would bump quickly into wrap-around country on 32bit hosts.

As you now don't preserve the weighting, we have the new problem that
starting/stopping/starting/stopping won't count correctly if
profiler-sampling-interval is modified between the two profiler-start.

        Stefan