Re: The Emacs Calculator and calendar

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: The Emacs Calculator and calendar
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 18:39:01 -0400

    > For Los Angeles you could probably understand everything using the
    > "Spain" jurisdiction.

    After 1556 yes, but before that the Spanish variant of the
    Julian calendar is probably not what users want.

Once again, you're being cryptic.  That objection seems to be a red herring
since all the dates you gave are after 1556.

    Would
    we ask Budapest users to manually switch among all the
    jurisdictions that have controlled that city: "Hungarian",
    "Romanian", "Austro-Hungarian", "Habsburg", "Ottoman",
    "Angevin", etc., etc.?

Maybe one named "Hungarian" would be most convenient.
But in practice it is possible (depending on facts) that they
could use Austrian and it would work.

Did the Ottoman empire use the Islamic calendar?
If so, most Hungarians probably used some Christian calendar
during that period, and would be more satisfied if that one
were used for those years.

Basically you are trying to make this idea fail
by being too rigid about it.  That approach shows nothing
about whether it COULD be a useful fuature.
The only way we can tell that is if someone looks at it
trying to make it useful.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation