RE: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions

From: Daniel Hackney
Subject: RE: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 17:18:23 -0500

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Only veteran Emacs users know about that meaning of "page",
>
> Evidence for that claim?
>
> And what constitutes a "veteran"?  Anyone who has ever used a command such as
> `count-lines-page', `backward-page', `sort-pages', `narrow-to-page',
> `what-page', or `ps-nb-pages-region'?  Anyone who has ever customized an option
> such as `page-delimiter', `ps-even-or-odd-pages', or `ps-selected-pages'?

As a single data point: I've been using Emacs for 6 years and have written "a bunch" of elisp, and I've never noticed the backwards definition of up/down and have never used any of the aforementioned commands, nor any command or function which operates on ^L.

I've seen ^L characters in elisp code before (though never in any other kind of file) and I know it is some kind of "section delimiter" but I never really saw the point of it.

tl;dr: I wouldn't notice the absence of the ^L commands, and I think that bringing the scrolling motion commands into agreement with every other program would be great for newcomers.