Re: ELPA security

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ELPA security
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 15:59:33 -0500

>> Actually, I see a problem with this scheme, now that we also keep around
>> older versions of the packages.  So maybe it's better to keep the
>> signatures in a separate file, next to the signed file (e.g. have foo.tar
>> and foo.tar.gpgsig).
> Then maybe the file listed in the package vector should be the *.gpgsig
> one, since otherwise it becomes easy to bypass the check by filtering
> out any traces of the signature file.

Right, we'd need to indicate somewhere that the sig should be
present, indeed.

A simple way to do that is to tell package.el directly, e.g. via
`package-archives' or just by declaring that all ELPA archives should
always have such signatures (they're pretty easy to add, so I'd expect
marmalade and melpa to adjust pretty quickly).

        Stefan