Re: read_char() does not detect, handle special-event-map buffer changes

From: Derek Upham
Subject: Re: read_char() does not detect, handle special-event-map buffer changes
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2013 07:32:35 -0800

Michael Albinus writes:

> Derek Upham <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> This removes a flawed optimization and returns a documented value.  It
>> doesn't touch read_key_sequence, so that risk goes away.  If we were
>> getting special events at a high rate of speed this /might/ cause a
>> slowdown, but nothing in the special events table seems to be used that
>> way---and I expect that the extra time spent popping back up to
>> read_key_sequence for the retry will still be very fast compared to the
>> time spent in the Emacs Lisp callback.
>
> I don't know what you mean with "high rate of speed", but special events
> are used for D-Bus and for file notifications. There could be a burst of
> incoming events, temporarily.

A couple of emails back I put in a D-Bus handler for asynchronous
messages.  I'll set it up to do nothing but push a timestamp onto a
list.  Then with a couple of dbus-send instances I can look for rate
differences between the two code paths.  I should have numbers this
weekend.

Derek

--
Derek Upham