Re: Loading souce Elisp faster

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: Loading souce Elisp faster
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:28:10 +0100

Drew Adams writes:
> See `byte-recompile-directory'.  It only compiles files already compiled, and
> only those that are younger than their .elc's.
>
> But perhaps you meant something that does what `byte-recompile-directory' does
> (recompiles as needed) but also compiles any .el that has never been compiled?

I know byte-recompile-directory in its various incarnations through
Emacs history, thanks.  This speeds up things, but is single threaded
and hence not very useful on multi-core machines (unless you happen to
do compiles in parallel directories).

> (BTW, I think you meant ignore .elc that are younger, not older, than .el.)

No, I meant what I wrote.  Emacs picks up stale .elc files in the
directory it is told to do compilations in, which almost never is the
correct thing to do.  With make-like build systems you first have to
remove these (or rather all .elc most of the time) to ensure that
subsequent compilations will work correctly.

Regards,
Achim.